September 05, 2017 08:24 AM PDT
Firstly, I hope all is well with my Houston based friends that you folk are safe and well and Texas returns to a new normal as soon as possible.
That said, it’s probably inappropriate to commence this episode with the track from UNKLE’s latest album – ‘Looking for the rain’ but it is one of the best tracks on the album, so forgive me this indiscretion.
Summer is over here in the UK. It was the usual mix of weather and gives credence to William Blake’s poem where he mentions our ‘mountains green’….’pleasant pastures’ and ‘England’s green & pleasant Land’. Well, early summer months of sunshine combined with sufficient rain in the last month of summer should keep us verdant!
As well as UNKLE, there have been a few long awaited releases these past few weeks and I’ve selected tracks from albums by Onehotrix Point Never; Mary Epworth; War on Drugs; LCD Sound System; Portico Qrt; Mogwai; Grizzly Bear and Filthy Friends as well as a couple of more challenging listens from Ben McElroy and Laurel Halo.
Hope you hear something you like.
1. Looking for the rain 5:45 UNKLE The Road: Part 1
2. Footsteps 3:48 Hidden Orchestra Night Walks (2010)
3. Mourning Sound 4:22 Grizzly Bear Painted Ruins
4. Gone Rogue 3:06 Mary Epworth Elytral
5. The Pure and the Damned (feat. Iggy Pop) 4:30 Oneohtrix Point Never Good Time OMPS
6. Bernies Army 4:30 Ben McElroy Bird-Stone
7. Come Back Shelley 3:59 Filthy Friends Invitation
8. Beyond Dialogue 6:42 Portico Quartet Art in the Age of Automation
9. Moontalk 4:25 Laurel Halo Laurel Halo : Dust
10. Holding On 5:51 The War On Drugs A Deeper Understanding
11. Other voices 6:43 LCD Soundsystem American dream
12. Don't Believe The Fife 6:24 Mogwai Every Country's Sun (Ltd Box)
August 10, 2017 05:00 AM PDT
Seems to me popular music has taken a turn towards the dark side, no doubt reflecting the current conditions. I've selected a number of tracks from albums released in the past few weeks and I guess you will hear what I mean. Hope you enjoy.
1. Everything now (Continued) 3:08 Arcade Fire – Everything Now
2. Everything now 5:03 Arcade Fire – Everything Now
3. Silence 3:56 Moby & The Void Pacific Choir - More Fast Songs About The Apocalypse
4. Is This the Life We Really Want? 5:55 Roger Waters - Is this the life we really want?
5. Hotter Colder 3:58 This Is The Kit - Moonshine Freeze
6. Waiting For The Right Time 3:53 Danny & The champs of the world - Brilliant Light
7. They Gave Me A Lamp 3:56 Public Service Broadcasting - Every Valley
8. Today I am not heartbroken 7:34 JONES - Heartbroken
9. Skyline 4:11 Broken Social Scene - Hug Of Thunder
10. High Times 6:33 Casey Dienel – Imitation of a woman to love
11. Don’t get carried away 3:46 William Doyle – The dream de-realised
12. Grant Green 3:29 Mr Jukes – God First
13. Croft 5:15 Poppy Ackroyd - Sketches
June 29, 2017 03:10 PM PDT
Mic & Mixer still not reunited with a computer processor, so episode 71 is another music only episode.
Also, no room made for the latest offerings from The Unthanks; Kathryn Williams; Royal Blood; Hidden Orchestra; Luca de Alberto & Penguin Café, all of which have merit, especially to my ears the Hidden Orchestra jazzy ambiance to bird sounds.
Only one track in this episode is not a 2017 release from the last few weeks – and that’s a rerelease of Bullion’s 2007 work based on the Beach Boys Pet Sounds album.
Of the albums selected to play a track here – my favourite album is the Sufjan Stevens collaboration. All are rather good with an “excellent” grading given by me to the Pumarosa; Anathema & Cigarettes After Sex albums.
The episode ends with a track from the album of Dorothy Trogdon poems adapted for song by Diagrams, better known as the lead singer of Tunng, Sam Genders – I think this album deceptively good. BTW - The Unthanks album is of similar make-up in that it gives an airing to Nick Drakes mother, Molly’s poems and songs.
The episode image is of me in (19)71 - all hair and no substance!
The tracks selected are listed below.
01. My Gruesome Loving Friend 4:03 Pumarosa The Witch Alternative
02. Race to the Bottom 3:42 Ha Ha Tonka Heart-Shaped Mountain Rock
03. The Weather 3:59 Pond The Weather Psych Rock
04. Leaving It Behind 4:28 Anathema The Optimist Rock
05. The Push and Pull 2:34 Joan Shelley Joan Shelley Singer/Songwriter
06. In Cold Blood 3:27 alt-J Relaxer Electronica
07. Everyone Knows 4:22 Slowdive Slowdive Rock
08. Any Party 5:23 Feist Pleasure Boy Indie Rock
09. Uranus 6:52 Sufjan Stevens, Bryce Dessner, Nico Muhly & James McAlister Planetarium Alternative
10. Don't Talk 2:21 Bullion Pet Sounds: In The Key Of Dee Hip Hop/Rap
11. Molotov_Mp3 3:47 Jason Isbell TNS Country & Folk
12. Omission 3:02 The Magpie Salute Woodstock Sessions Indie Rock
13. Apocalypse 4:50 Cigarettes After Sex Cigarettes After Sex
14. Failing At Feeling 4:29 BNQT Volume One Rock
15. Out Of My Mind 3:58 Saint Etienne Home Counties
16. Missing Wires 4:48 Soulwax FROM DEEWEE Alternative/Pop/Electronic
17. Truth Is a Beautiful Thing 5:08 London Grammar Truth Is a Beautiful Thing dream pop
18. Under the Graphite Sky 4:49 Diagrams Dorothy Folk
April 24, 2017 12:17 PM PDT
1. Disposable 3:38 Cameron Avery Ripe Dreams, Pipe Dreams;
2. Soothing 4:17 Laura Marling, Semper Femina;
3. Truth Is Light 3:59 Joe Goddard, Electric Lines;
4. Anymore 3:55 Goldfrapp, Silver Eye;
5. Where I'm Going 2:10 Thundercat, Drunk;
6. Unholy 8:59 Richard Barbieri, Planets + Persona;
7. When It's My Time 5:17 Imelda May, Life Love Flesh Blood;
8. John Doe's Carnival Of Error 2:35 Blanck Mass, World Eater;
9. The Great Highway 4:44 Ray Davies, Americana;
10. Distant Shore 4:15 Karen Elson, Double Roses;
11. Pink Up 5:57 Spoon, Hot Thoughts;
12. Losing You 2:53 Alison Krauss, Windy City;
13. Way We Won't 4:22 Grandaddy, Last Place;
14. Feel You (Live at RAK) 4:05 Julia Holter, In The Same Room;
15. My Church is Black 2:58 Me And That Man, Love Is A Dog From Hell;
16. I Can't Find Water 5:08 Hauschka, What if;
17. Fall From an Eyrie 4:24 Arboretum, Song of the Rose;
18. Trust The Sun 5:55 Elbow, Little Fictions;
19. Break Apart 4:35 Bonobo featuring Rhye, Migration;
20. Retour au Champs de Mars 3:45 A Winged Victory For The Sullen, Iris;
21. Memories Are Now 4:23 Jesca Hoop, Memories Are Now;
22. Told You I'd Be With The Guys 4:34 Cherry Glazerr, Apocalipstick;
23. Green Lights 3:35 Sarah Jarosz, Undercurrent;
24. Hate To See You Go 3:21 Rolling Stones, Blue and Lonesome;
25. Cogs Orchestral Variation 5:48 Minor Victories, Orchestral Variations;
26. Honest Life 4:15 Courtney Marie Andrews, Honest Life;
27. Thinking Bout You 3:45 Flo Morrissey & Richard E White Gentle Woman Ruby man;
28. Local 2:54 Tycho, Epoch;
29. Still Life 4:37 Lowly, Heba;
30. Road_Block 3:37 Thievery Corporation, The Temple of I & I;
31. So I'm Growing Old On Magic Mountain 9:58 Father John Misty, Pure Comedy.
So, if I had a mic working I would probably said some of the following:-
1.Cameron Avery – Tame Impala and Pond man creates his debut solo album and with previous work in the Psych-rock genre, one might expect to hear Psych but that's been replaced by ballads.
2.Laura Marling – Moves further from the folk format with this album where theme is generally relationships between women.
3.Joe Goddard – Hot Chip co-founder with his first full-length solo outing – dance inflected.
4.Goldfrapp with their 7th studio album and it’s synth over drum machine but with grown-up lyrical themes which I guess is to be expected for folk in their 50’s.
5.Thundercat is bass-playing Stephen Bruner, across many genre musician but this album focuses in the main on what us oldies call ‘jazz infused soul’ and has many guest appearances from the likes of Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald, Kendrick Lamar and Pharrell.
6.Richard Barbieri – once with Japan and more recently, Porcupine Tree, this is his 3rd solo outing and excellent it is.
7.Imelda May – now divorced after many years of marriage, she’s dropped the more recent rockabilly stuff in favour of soft rock. She’s also changed her image from the quiff totting teddy-girl – see album sleeve.
8.Blank Mass – F* Buttons leader with another rather excellent electronic outing.
9.Sir Ray Davies – surely must be one of the best British song-writers ever and by British I don’t only mean nationality, but song content. This album sees an American themes sung in an Americana style backed by the Jayhawks but with several references to the Kinks. Wonderful stuff Sir Ray
10.Karen Elson – supermodel/singer-songwriter with another excellent musical outing.
11.Spoon – Texan indie-rock band with another (9th) album adding a little electronica this time.
12.Alison Krauss – with a song made famous by Brenda Lee about this time of year 54 years ago. Lots of covers from Alison on this her first solo outing for 12 years, with songs sung to perfection in my opinion – but I’m sure you’ll have you own thoughts about that.
13.Grandaddy – whose reform as a band is heralded by a fanfare at the start of this track. Some critics bemoaned as there was nothing new, ‘why bother returning’ but I guess it’s just what fans like me want – so 'up yours' critics.
14.Julia Holter – Live studio recordings of songs previously released on studio albums but mainly drawn from her last album ‘Have you in my wilderness’.
15. Me And That Man – is lead singer (Nergal) of Polish death metal crew Behemoth and folk stalwart John Porter who together produced a folk inspired album of Love & Death themes sounding a little like the latter day American albums by Johnny Cash.
16.Hauschka – neo-classical electronica – all very pleasant
17.Arbouretum – 15 years on the go for US alternative rock band and a track from their 9th album.
18.Elbow – Super stuff once again from this rather super band.
19.Bonobo featuring Rhye – US based Brit Simon Green with another electronic outing of lush melodies.
20.A Winged Victory For The Sullen – more magic from Dustin O'Halloran and Adam Wiltzie with the soundtrack to French film Iris. Puts me in mind of Olafur Arnold’s Broadchurch in places.
21.Jesca Hoop – Tom Waits encouraged (she was his child’s nanny for a while) with more of her experimental songs in the folk/jazz/blues/pop fields. So far, one of my most favourite albums of 2017.
22.Cherry Glazerr – US indie rock band – at time of writing, two young women with attitude plus hairy bloke on drums.
23.Sarah Jarosz – Played in a Guildford church recently to a sell-out audience having just won two Grammies.
24.Rolling Stones – say no more – back to blues pub band with Jagger on harmonica.
25.Minor Victories – The super groups album (track featured episode 66) made-over by keyboard player as an orchestral ambient piece and excellent it is, in my opinion, better than the original (but who am I to say…)
26.Courtney Marie Andrews – Played to a small band of us in The Keep pub in Guildford last month. Very engaging.
27.Flo Morrissey & Richard E White - Young London folky with older LA male producer more into soul. It shouldn’t work, but it does.
28.Tycho – is a project led by Scott Hansen as primary composer, songwriter and producer in the ambient music genre.
29.Lowly – is a Danish 5 piece who with this album have found their niche. An excellent album in my opinion.
30.Thievery Corporation – The electronica dance outfit make a reggae record in Jamaica.
31.Father John Misty aka John Tillman – sounding like a mix of early Elton John and Don McLane. This track is half song/half coda and what a coda – my favourite part of the album.
Hope those of you who wanted to were able to follow above and you all heard something you liked. Hopefully, microphone/mixer and processor will be reunited soon.
November 29, 2016 08:09 AM PST
As mentioned last month, the new Bon Iver album had just appeared and I needed to listen a few more times before passing comment. Another track is included here. Also a track from an album much anticipated by me – Lambchop; a track from my favourite album so far this year – Agnes Obel and a tip of the hat to Leon Russell who died this month. Hope you find something you like.
Intro: Joe Bonamassa – ‘Hide away’ from Live at the Greek
1. Herbert 3:58 Madness Can't Touch Us Now Alternative 2016
2. Fire On The Floor 5:13 Beth Hart Fire On The Floor Singer-Songwriter 2016
3. Flotus 3:30 Lambchop FLOTUS Alt-Country 2016
4. Let It Be You 2:57 Joan As Police Woman & Benjamin Lazar Davis Let It Be You Alternative 2016
5. 8 (circle) 5:06 Bon Iver 22, A Million Indie/ Folk 2016
6. Saint Claude 4:02 Christine And The Queens Same Pop 2016
7. Highland Grace 5:59 Hiss Golden Messenger Heart Like a Levee Alternative 2016
8. Particles 3:59 Olafur Arnolds Island Songs Electronica 2016
10. Familiar 3:56 Agnes Obel Citizen of Glass Alternative 2016
11. The Governor 6:50 Nicolas Jaar Sirens Electronic 2016
12. It's A Wonderful Time For Love 3:54 Norah Jones Day Breaks Jazz 2016
13. The Colour Not of Love 3:59 Efterklang LEAVES - The Colour of Falling Opera 2016
14. Superstar 3:21 Me First & The Gimme Gimmes Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah Punk 2004
September 28, 2016 02:45 PM PDT
All but two of the following playlist are tracks from albums released August/September 2016. I usually try to start with an upbeat number but the first three tracks here are quite slow. I’m really enjoying the James Blake album and I reckon it will be in my top 5 albums for 2016 unless we have an extraordinary excellent quarter 4 and I know my expectations are high for the new Agnes Obel due October and both the Lambchop and Efterklang with Den Sorte Skole released in November. I’ve added a couple of old songs towards the end – two from a list of many that I consider the ‘best’ pop songs released. Enjoy.
01 I Joined the Foreign Legion (To Forget) 3:41 The Divine Comedy Foreverland Pop
02 Radio Silence 4:01 James Blake The colour in anything Electronic
03 D-Day 4:25 Blue States Restless Spheres Electronic
04 No Good Reason 4:21 Dawes We're All Gonna Die Indie Rock
04 Hope Lasts 3:08 Hannah Peel Awake But Always Dreaming Electronic
06 d E A T h b R E a s T 2:58 Bon Iver 22, a million Electronica/Pop
07 Love Life 4:16 King Creosote Astronaut Meets Appleman Alternative
08 Shut Up Kiss Me 3:21 Angel Olsen My Woman Folk-Rock/Cosmic
09 Beautiful Birds 3:34 Passenger Young As The Morning As Old As The Sea S/S’writer
10 Skeleton Tree 4:02 Nick Cave & The bad seeds Skeleton Tree Rock
11 Movie Night Revisited 4:29 Eluvium False Readings On Electronica & Dance
12 Up The Junction 3:12 Squeeze Cool For Cats 1979 Indie Rock
13 Heroes And Villains 4:14 The Beach Boys Good Vibrations 1967 Rock
14 Other People 1:36 The Divine Comedy Foreverland Pop
August 26, 2016 03:26 PM PDT
This episode comprises tracks from albums released in the last few weeks (July/Aug 2016). In my opinion, 2016 is becoming the best year for album releases this millennium. I'm thoroughly enjoying many of the albums I've featured on the last 4 episodes of this podcast and this latest publication has tracks from several excellent albums - Haley Bonar; Rachel Newton; Peter Bruntnell, Lara Gibson and Lisa Hannigan stand-out for me. Give it a listen, let me know what you think.
1. The last of your kind 4:56 Ed Harcourt Furnaces 2016
2. I Can Change 3:13 Haley Bonar Impossible Dream 2016
3. Rule The World 5:43 Michael Kiwanuka Love & Hate 2016
4. The Bloody Gardener 5:29 Rachel Newton Here's My Heart……. 2016
5. Yuri Gagarin 8:44 Peter Bruntnell Nos Da Comrade 2016
6. Llyn Du 3:48 9Bach Anian 2016
7. Never Far Away 3:18 Active Child Mercy 2015
8. Caldera 4:11 Laura Gibson Empire Builder 2016
9. Femen 2:33 Crystal Castles Amnesty (I) 2016
10. In God's House 3:31 Bat For Lashes The Bride 2016
11. Fend for Yourself 3:43 The Pineapple Thief Your Wilderness 2016
12. Moon Saloon 6:07 Arc Iris Moon Saloon 2016
13. We, the drowned 4:00 Lisa Hannigan At Swim 2016
14. Prayer For The Dying 4:35 Lisa Hannigan At Swim 2016
July 22, 2016 02:45 AM PDT
Following the last 'special' episode, we return to the newer music concept. Episode 66 comprises a selection of cross-genre tracks from vinyl albums released over the last few weeks. The final track is from Mojo magazine's tribute cd to Dylan’s 50 year old Blonde on Blonde album. 1966 - what a year that was for music and football. Among many other great albums, we had: Aftermath (Rolling Stones); Pet sounds (Beach Boys); Freak out (Zappa); Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton (John Mayall); Revolver (Beatles); Face to face (Kinks) & Fresh cream (Cream).
Tracks for ep 66 are:
1. The Leaves Were Falling 0:15 The Avalanches Wildflower 2016
2. Because I'm Me 4:13 The Avalanches Wildflower 2016
3. Frankie Sinatra 3:44 The Avalanches Wildflower 2016
4. For whom the fires burn - Aethervox Remix 5:00 Phidel Ritual Black ep 2016
5. Falling 4:22 Beth Orton Kidsticks 2016
6. Taboo Groves 2:47 Flamingods Majesty 2016
7. Valentina (ft. Smoke Fairies) 5:59 Public Service Broadcasting The Race For Space / Remixes 2016
8. 1000 Miles Away 2:58 case/lang/veirs case/lang/veirs 2016
9. Scattered Ashes (Song For Richard) 4:17 Minor Victories Minor Victories 2016
10. True Love Waits 4:44 Radiohead A Moon Shaped Pool 2016
11. Born Under A Bad Sign 3:17 William Bell This Is Where I Live 2016
12. Ethereal 6:39 Hjaltalin Late Night Tales - Ólafur Arnalds 2016
13. Sad-eyed lady of the lowland 13.26 Jim O’Rourke MOJO trib. to Blonde on Blonde 2016
Hope you enjoy.
July 05, 2016 07:33 AM PDT
Taking a break from the Newer Music concept, this episode comprises tracks from albums released in the last 20 years, which I think a little special and which I still enjoy listening to. No talking, just music.
The episode is a little longer than my usual 60 minutes(ish) so those of you who download the file, be warned!
You may not have heard of many of the artists (unless you are a regular listener to this Podcast) but as I always say, ‘give it a listen’. File under background music for a barbecue or dinner party.
Tracks - Song-title/song length/artist/album/year:
1. The Wild Winds Weep 1:44 Alex Tiuniaev Blurred 2011
2. Ancient Eye 3:39 Active Child You Are All I See 2011
3. Everything and Everyone 3:24 Chantal Acda The Sparkle In Our Flaws 2015
4. Downward The Rainbow 3:13 Eonic Secret Land 2010
5. Red Sky At Night 2:51 David Gilmour On An Island Rock 2006
6. Flowery Noontide 4:10 Espers Espers 2004
7. Can't We Just Listen To The Silence 1:35 Explosions In The Sky & David Wingo Prince Avalanche 2013
8. Yr Love 4:42 Holy Other LateNightTales - Jon Hopkins 2011
9. Lie Down In Darkness 4:26 Moby Destroyed 2011
10. Storm Song 3:51 Phildel The Disappearance Of The Girl 2013
11. Ramblin' Man 7:06 Lemon Jelly Lost Horizons 2002
12. Lifted 4:32 Lighthouse Family Ocean Drive 1997
13. We played some open chords 6:19 A winged victory for the sullen Same 2011
14. Falling Slowly 4:04 Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová Once 2007
15. Homelands 5:59 Nitin Sawhney Café Del Mar, Vol. 6 1999
16. You Leave Me in Ruins 4:03 Dan Michaelson & The Coastguards Blindspot 2013
17. Waiting For The Sky To Open 0:49 Mystery School Flambeaux Noirs 2008
18. The Drawing Of Night 5:16 Mystery School Flambeaux Noirs 2008
19. We Wait For Sunrise 4:17 The Winston Giles Orch. Soundtracks For Sunrise 2004
20. Honour Him 1:20 Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard Gladiator 2000
21. The Wheat 1:03 Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard Gladiator 2000
22. Polish Love Song 4:25 Sleepingdog With Our Heads In the Clouds & Our Hearts In the Fields 2011
23. Falling, Catching 1:34 Agnes Obel Philharmonics 2010
24. All Hearts Will Beat Again 3:14 Orenda Fink Blue Dream 2014
25. Reap What You Sow 5:15 Matt Elliot Only Myocardial Infarction Can Break Your Heart 2013
26. If I Had A Heart 3:50 Fever Ray Fever Ray 2009
May 27, 2016 02:32 AM PDT
Tracks from albums released in the main, over the last few weeks. Starts with a taster from the new 1 track album by Melanie De Biasio - if you enjoy jazzier stuff, you'll like this. Also includes tracks from two of my favourite albums so far this year - Eno's - 'The Ship' and Mutual Benefit's - 'Skip a sinking stone'. Hope you find something you like.
1. $oro 6:21 LUH Spiritual Songs For Lovers To Sing
2. Fickle Sun (iii) I'm Set Free 5:18 Brian Eno The Ship
3. Beached 4:09 Julianna Barwick Will
4. Make A New Mistake 3:16 Bullion Show Your Workings (Loop The Loop bonus)
5. Ether 5:10 Mogwai Atomic
6. 4 Degrees 3:52 ANOHNI Hopelessness
7. The Great Confuso Pt. 1 7:52 Blanck Mass The Great Confuso (ep)
8. Lost Dreamers 4:37 Mutual Benefit Skip a Sinking Stone
9. Echoes Of Harlem 3:47 John Williams' Baritone Band
10. Travelling alone 4:37 Passenger Whispers II
11. Ukulele Lady / (If Paradise Is) Half As Nice 4:52 Eliza Carthy Gift