July 02, 2018 07:44 AM PDT
The albums released over May/June 2018 have been rather excellent, so I’ve been spoiled for choice in this episode. However, some excellent stuff is omitted (i.e. there was no download card with the vinyl bought for a digital version of Kamasi Washington’s “Heaven & Earth”, nor for De-Phazz “Black, White, Mono” nor for the John Coltrane ‘Lost album – Both directions at once”. The first two are excellent – the Coltrane, whilst historically important is more an album for the Coltrane ‘completest’ imo.
From the selection in this episode, I am particularly enjoying the albums by Lump; Serpentwithfeet; Vynehall and the compilation from which the Dare track is taken plus the single from Doyle. Hope you find something you like.
1. Shake Your Shelter 5:23 LUMP LUMP .
2. Rush Hill Road) 5:55 The Orb No Sounds Are Out Of Bounds
3. Essential Four 6:08 Soulwax Essential Another Mother's Son 5:30 Phil Cook People Are My Drug Americana
4. Millersdale 5:00 William Doyle
5. Bad Decision 3:06 Chromeo Head Over Heels R&B
6. A Street Called Hope 3:23 Ray Davies Our Country: Americana Act 2
7. Whisper 4:21 serpentwithfeet soil R&B
8. Babylon 3:04 Oneohtrix Point Never Age Of Electronica
9. Molly Brannigan 4:34 Brona McVittie We Are the Wildlife Country & Folk
10. English Oak (Chapter VII) 4:27 Leon Vynehall Nothing Is Still
11. Darling 8:13 Douglas Dare 1+1=X Ambient/Drone/Modern Classical
May 25, 2018 12:06 PM PDT
Mix of music genres from jazz to classical via electronica, psych & indie rock and R&B. Mostly new; one reissue and one out for the first time but recorded 13 years ago.
Medicine Chest Dub 1 4:12 Nostalgia 77 Fifteen Electronic
Learning The Hard Way 3:51 Stone Foundation A Life Unlimited R&B
Telluride Speed 6:28 Ryley Walker Deafman Glance Singer-Songwriter
Long May It Sustain 4:20 A Winged Victory For The Sullen 1+1=X Ambient
Emerald Rush 5:37 Jon Hopkins Singularity Electronic/Ambient
Drunk in LA 3:59 Beach House 7 Alternative
Staring At The Sun 7:28 Wooden Shjips V. Psychedelic Rock
Gabriel’s Ladder 3:36 Mark Peters Innerland (Large Scale Version) Ambient
S.I.A 3:47 GUM The underdog Indie Rock
Hypomania 3:46 Gazpatcho Soyuz Psych Rock
A Pile Of Dust 4:50 Jóhann Jóhannsson, Air Lyndhurst String Orchestra, Anthony Weeden The Mercy Electronica
Believe, Beleft, Below 7:24 Esbjörn Svensson Trio e.s.t. live in london Jazz
April 27, 2018 04:31 PM PDT
Hi all, Another Podcast episode is posted. This features tracks from albums release on vinyl March April 2018 (in the main). It’s the usual mix of indie rock/electronic/ambient with a few tracks from the alternative genre. I’m enjoying all of the albums from which these tracks are taken and greatly enjoying the Johann Johannsson 1st album, re-engineered & revisioned for a 2018 release shortly before his death and the Superorganism is another excellent album. Hope you find something you like.
1. Semicircle Song 3:29 The Go! Team SEMICIRCLE
2. Something for your mind 2:45 Superorganism Superorganism
3. You Are Here 5:44 Yo La Tengo There's a Riot Going On
4. Crazy Girl 3:35 Lissie Castles
5. Odi Et Amo - Bis 4:03 Jóhann Jóhannsson Englaborn
6. I Gotta Weapon 2:17 Cut Chemist Die Cut
7. Mama's Hand 4:58 Fever Ray Plunge
8. Rare Birds 5:27 Jonathan Wilson Rare Birds
9. Track 03 4:05 Molecule -22.7 c
10. Cernubicua 3:31 Chris Carter Chemistry Lessons Volume 1
11. I Know It's Real 3:20 Wye Oak The Louder I Call, the Faster It Runs
12. American Guilt 4:33 Unknown Mortal Orchestra Sex & Food
13. Rusty Pipes 4:04 Eels The Deconstruction
14. Gibberish 3:25 SLUG Higgledy Piggledy
15. Unfolding 5:58 Rival Consoles Persona
March 19, 2018 10:32 AM PDT
No chatting on this one - battling colds/bacteria/asthma.... A return to the 'chatting man' next episode. Content is from new releases over the last 3 months with a couple of tracks from last year.
1. Wake 3:49 Typhoon Offerings 2017
2. Damned Devotion 3:13 Joan As Police Woman Damned Devotion 2018
3. Shape The Future 6:19 Nightmares on Wax Shape The Future 2018
4. A Place 7:02 Nils Frahm All Melody 2018
5. 09 Phoenix 4:35 Rhye Blood 2018
6. Fight Back 6:14 Chantal Acda Bounce Back 2017
7. In Your Beat 3:49 Django Django Marble Skies 2018
8. Evan Finds the Third Room 4:01 Khruangbin Con Todo El Mundo 2018
9. Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime.... 2:16 Phildel 2018
10. Find A Way To 5:34 Field Music Open Here 2018
11. 1. Prayer 2:54 Go Go Penguin A Humdrum Star 2018
12. Each Time We Pass 5:16 Hookworms Microshift 2018
13. Days That Got Away 4:45 MGMT Little Dark Age 2018
January 16, 2018 05:05 AM PST
I hope those of you who celebrated holidays over the last month or so enjoyed the time and that you listened to lots of music. In the main, this episode plays tracks from albums released in the final weeks of 2017. I mention a couple of Websites in my verbal asides/recommendations. The first for the Alt-J hymn, 'Pleader' video. This is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrhSJzM8NLE
and the Eluvium 'Drone Shuffle' can be found in his Bandcamp location: https://eluvium.bandcamp.com/album/shuffle-drones
Next month's episode will feature tracks from some of the new album releases in 2018 including First Aid Kit; Django Django; Nils Frahm; Joe Bonnamassa & Beth Orton; Khruangbin and Nightmares on Wax among others. That's next month - hope you find something you like in this months episode.
1. Kompromat 4:35 The Barr Brothers Queens of the Breakers 2017
2. Arisen my senses 5:00 Björk Utopia 2017
3. Love Me As I Am 4:32 Paloma Faith The Architect 2017
4. Outta The Woodwork 6:21 Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile Lotta Sea Lice 2017
5. Free At Last 4:43 Blue Hawaii Tenderness 2017
6. Pleader 5:09 alt-J 2017 Live EP 2017
7. Odi Et Amo 3:12 Johann Johannsson Englaborn 2002
8. Golden Claw 4.33 Noya Rao Icarus 2017
9. The Places we’ve been 4.39 Lost Horizons Ojala 2017
10.Nadia 3.41 Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott’s 2008
11. tracks 17:3:20:10:21:22:7:12:13:18 5.43 Eluvium Shuffle Drones (excerpt)2017
12. Surf’s up 4.12 Beach Boys Surf’s up 1971
November 09, 2017 06:09 AM PST
Late night listening for Episode 75. Some jazzy, some ambient, some folky, some at the quieter end of indie and let’s and not forget the brass band. I mention a link to Bandcamp for one of the albums i.e. Leyland Kirby and that is: https://leylandkirby.bandcamp.com/album/we-so-tired-of-all-the-darkness-in-our-lives
I think all the tracks have merit (else they wouldn’t be here) but not all are an easy listen, so when it comes to Bibio – just think of church bells mournfully tolling.
The tracks on this episode are:
1. I Don't Know What to Say 2:49 The Weather Station The Weather Station
2. Consolation 4:38 Leyland Kirby We, so tired of all the darkness in our lives
3. To Feel Your Best 6:20 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith The Kid Alternative
4. Sunrise Through The Dusty Nebula 5:01 Hannah Peel Mary Casio: Journey To Cassiopeia
5. Silhouette feat. Shabaka Hutchings 5:24 Zara Mcfarlane Arise
6. Smoking Section 3:39 St. Vincent Masseduction
7. Plain Gold Ring 5:26 Mop Mop DJ Maestro Presents: Nina Simone Little Girl Blue remixed
8. Sepia 5:27 Afterhere Sepia - Single
9. White Lights 3:55 The Rural Alberta Advantage The Wild
10. Everyday 3:42 Jamie Saft, Steve Swallow, Bobby Previte w. Iggy Pop Loneliness Road
11. PHANTOM BRICKWORKS III 9:27 Bibio PHANTOM BRICKWORKS
12. Pretzel Logic 4:33 Steely Dan Pretzel Logic
Saw Steely Dan of their recent visit to UK and for Steely fans – this was the set list. As you will see they didn’t play Pretzel Logic – so I thought I would.
2. Black Cow (a rather wonderful vodka these days)
3. Hey Nineteen
It was here Fagan stated “We’re the Steely Dan organisation. We’re a little different from what we were a few months ago, but I gotta live with that.” The only reference made to Becker’s untimely departure.
4. New Frontier (Donald Fagen song)
6. Black Friday
7. Babylon Sisters
8. Time Out of Mind
9. Dirty Work
11. I Want To (Do Everything for You) (Joe Tex cover and when band introductions were made)
13. My Old School
14. Kid Charlemagne
15. Reelin' in the Years
16. Drum Solo (Keith Carlock - what a wonderful jazz/rock drummer HE is)
17. The Untouchables (Nelson Riddle cover, during which Fagan walked off stage and left band to it)
October 03, 2017 09:53 AM PDT
I’ve taken tracks from albums for this this month’s episode by the likes of The National, Sparks, as inventive and comedic as ever; Beyonce – yes, you read correctly and she’s paired with a track from the new Godspeed you! Black Emperor. There’s also a track from a heart wrenching album from Hammock composed following the death of a family member. All the tracks follow. The image for this episode is a picture of a West Midlands No. 74 bus which I used to used as a child most Saturdays to visit Dudley and in later teens, to visit Birmingham and on to clubs like Mothers.
1. The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness 3:57 The National Sleep Well Beast
2. Don't Delete The Kisses 4:35 Wolf Alice Visions Of A Life
3. Myela (1) 5:37 Nick Mulvey Wake up now
4. So Tell Me Mrs Lincoln Aside From That How Was The Play 4:00 Sparks Hippopotamus
5. andata 4:39 R.Sakamoto Async
6. Pride 4:24 Zara Mcfarlane Arise
7. Bubblegum Dreams 3:13 Ariel Pink Dedicated To Bobby Jameson
8. Hold Up 3:41 Beyoncé Lemonade
9. Bosses Hang Pt III 5:25 Godspeed You! Black Emperor Luciferian Towers
10. Humility 2:46 Kamasi Washington Harmony of Difference
11. Mysterium 7:12 Hammock Mysterium
I hope you hear something you like.
September 05, 2017 08:24 AM PDT
Firstly, I hope all is well with my Houston based friends that you folk are safe and well and Texas returns to a new normal as soon as possible.
That said, it’s probably inappropriate to commence this episode with the track from UNKLE’s latest album – ‘Looking for the rain’ but it is one of the best tracks on the album, so forgive me this indiscretion.
Summer is over here in the UK. It was the usual mix of weather and gives credence to William Blake’s poem where he mentions our ‘mountains green’….’pleasant pastures’ and ‘England’s green & pleasant Land’. Well, early summer months of sunshine combined with sufficient rain in the last month of summer should keep us verdant!
As well as UNKLE, there have been a few long awaited releases these past few weeks and I’ve selected tracks from albums by Onehotrix Point Never; Mary Epworth; War on Drugs; LCD Sound System; Portico Qrt; Mogwai; Grizzly Bear and Filthy Friends as well as a couple of more challenging listens from Ben McElroy and Laurel Halo.
Hope you hear something you like.
1. Looking for the rain 5:45 UNKLE The Road: Part 1
2. Footsteps 3:48 Hidden Orchestra Night Walks (2010)
3. Mourning Sound 4:22 Grizzly Bear Painted Ruins
4. Gone Rogue 3:06 Mary Epworth Elytral
5. The Pure and the Damned (feat. Iggy Pop) 4:30 Oneohtrix Point Never Good Time OMPS
6. Bernies Army 4:30 Ben McElroy Bird-Stone
7. Come Back Shelley 3:59 Filthy Friends Invitation
8. Beyond Dialogue 6:42 Portico Quartet Art in the Age of Automation
9. Moontalk 4:25 Laurel Halo Laurel Halo : Dust
10. Holding On 5:51 The War On Drugs A Deeper Understanding
11. Other voices 6:43 LCD Soundsystem American dream
12. Don't Believe The Fife 6:24 Mogwai Every Country's Sun (Ltd Box)
August 10, 2017 05:00 AM PDT
Seems to me popular music has taken a turn towards the dark side, no doubt reflecting the current conditions. I've selected a number of tracks from albums released in the past few weeks and I guess you will hear what I mean. Hope you enjoy.
1. Everything now (Continued) 3:08 Arcade Fire – Everything Now
2. Everything now 5:03 Arcade Fire – Everything Now
3. Silence 3:56 Moby & The Void Pacific Choir - More Fast Songs About The Apocalypse
4. Is This the Life We Really Want? 5:55 Roger Waters - Is this the life we really want?
5. Hotter Colder 3:58 This Is The Kit - Moonshine Freeze
6. Waiting For The Right Time 3:53 Danny & The champs of the world - Brilliant Light
7. They Gave Me A Lamp 3:56 Public Service Broadcasting - Every Valley
8. Today I am not heartbroken 7:34 JONES - Heartbroken
9. Skyline 4:11 Broken Social Scene - Hug Of Thunder
10. High Times 6:33 Casey Dienel – Imitation of a woman to love
11. Don’t get carried away 3:46 William Doyle – The dream de-realised
12. Grant Green 3:29 Mr Jukes – God First
13. Croft 5:15 Poppy Ackroyd - Sketches
June 29, 2017 03:10 PM PDT
Mic & Mixer still not reunited with a computer processor, so episode 71 is another music only episode.
Also, no room made for the latest offerings from The Unthanks; Kathryn Williams; Royal Blood; Hidden Orchestra; Luca de Alberto & Penguin Café, all of which have merit, especially to my ears the Hidden Orchestra jazzy ambiance to bird sounds.
Only one track in this episode is not a 2017 release from the last few weeks – and that’s a rerelease of Bullion’s 2007 work based on the Beach Boys Pet Sounds album.
Of the albums selected to play a track here – my favourite album is the Sufjan Stevens collaboration. All are rather good with an “excellent” grading given by me to the Pumarosa; Anathema & Cigarettes After Sex albums.
The episode ends with a track from the album of Dorothy Trogdon poems adapted for song by Diagrams, better known as the lead singer of Tunng, Sam Genders – I think this album deceptively good. BTW - The Unthanks album is of similar make-up in that it gives an airing to Nick Drakes mother, Molly’s poems and songs.
The episode image is of me in (19)71 - all hair and no substance!
The tracks selected are listed below.
01. My Gruesome Loving Friend 4:03 Pumarosa The Witch Alternative
02. Race to the Bottom 3:42 Ha Ha Tonka Heart-Shaped Mountain Rock
03. The Weather 3:59 Pond The Weather Psych Rock
04. Leaving It Behind 4:28 Anathema The Optimist Rock
05. The Push and Pull 2:34 Joan Shelley Joan Shelley Singer/Songwriter
06. In Cold Blood 3:27 alt-J Relaxer Electronica
07. Everyone Knows 4:22 Slowdive Slowdive Rock
08. Any Party 5:23 Feist Pleasure Boy Indie Rock
09. Uranus 6:52 Sufjan Stevens, Bryce Dessner, Nico Muhly & James McAlister Planetarium Alternative
10. Don't Talk 2:21 Bullion Pet Sounds: In The Key Of Dee Hip Hop/Rap
11. Molotov_Mp3 3:47 Jason Isbell TNS Country & Folk
12. Omission 3:02 The Magpie Salute Woodstock Sessions Indie Rock
13. Apocalypse 4:50 Cigarettes After Sex Cigarettes After Sex
14. Failing At Feeling 4:29 BNQT Volume One Rock
15. Out Of My Mind 3:58 Saint Etienne Home Counties
16. Missing Wires 4:48 Soulwax FROM DEEWEE Alternative/Pop/Electronic
17. Truth Is a Beautiful Thing 5:08 London Grammar Truth Is a Beautiful Thing dream pop
18. Under the Graphite Sky 4:49 Diagrams Dorothy Folk